Presentations and papers
- Le, N., H. Forsythe and C. Schmitt (2017) "Interactions between number and definiteness: Vietnamese children's comprehension of definites." presented at the 42nd Boston University Conference on Language Development (BUCLD41), Boston, MA, November 3-5, 2017 [slides]
- Forsythe, H. (2016) "Top-down learning in the Acquisition of Pronouns." presented at the 41st Boston University Conference on Language Development (BUCLD41), Boston, MA, November 4-6, 2016 [poster][proceedings]
- Forsythe, H. (2016) Discourse Relations and the Null/Overt Contrast in Mexican Spanish poster presented at the 46th Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL46), Stonybrook, NY, March 31-April 3, 2016 [ unofficial write-up]
- Forsythe, H. (2016) Child Sensitivity to Discourse Cues, presented at Graduate Linguistics Expo at Michigan State (GLEAMS) February 27-28, 2016 [slides]
- Forsythe, H. (2015) "Gradable Path Prepositions as Measure-of-Change Functions" presented at the 33rd West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL33), Vancouver, B.C., March 27-29, 2015. [proceedings in Simon Fraser WPL]
- Forsythe, H. (2014) "Person and number asymmetries in child comprehension of Spanish agreement and object clitics" presented at the 39th Boston University Conference on Child Language Development (BUCLD39), November 7-9, 2014 [proceedings]
- Morril, T., L. Dilley and H. Forsythe (2014) "Perceptual isochrony and prominence in spontaneous speech" presented at the 168th meeting of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Indianapolis, IN, October 27-31, 2014
- Forsythe, H. (2014) "Gradable Locative PPs vs. Gradable Path PPs: Measure functions vs. measure-of-change functions" presented at the Graduate Workshop of the American Midwest and Prairies (GWAMP), UW-Milwaukee, Oct. 18, 2014 [handout]
- Forsythe, H. and C. Schmitt, (2014) "Children understand 3rd person: Evidence from the acquisition of Spanish agreement and object clitics" presented at the International Conference on Infant Studies (ICIS XIX) Berlin, July 3-5, 2014 [poster]
- Forsythe, H. (2014) "Path Prepositions are Measure-of-Change Functions" presented at the Workshop of Aspect and Argument Structure of Adverbs and Prepositions (WAASAP2) University of Tromsø, June 13, 2014 [handout]
- Asymmetries within the acquisition of agreement and clitic forms in Spanish [pdf] I ask whether children's delayed comprehension of 3rd person agreement forms is due to their being phonologically reduced (in which case, comprehension should be delayed more generally for phonologically weak forms relative to stronger ones), or due to their being semantically underspecified (in which case, comprehension should be delayed for semantically underspecified plurals, as well).
- A cross-categorial semantics for scalar preposition [pdf] I defend a degree-based semantics of path prepositions (ex. towards, away from, through, across, around, up, down, etc.) and of projective prepositions (ex. behind, in front of, inside, outside, to the left/right of, etc.). Specifically, I argue for a measure-function analysis of the latter and for a measure-of-change function analysis of the former (Kennedy & Levin 2008).
- Overt wh-movement in Vietnamese [pdf] Shows evidence for cases of overt wh- movement in Vietnamese, an otherwise wh-in-situ language.
- Some slightly interesting facts about degree scales and degree modifiers [pdf] Cross-categorial data on the behavior of degree-modifier slightly
- An expressive approach to register differences in Chilean second-person pronouns [pdf] an extension of Potts' (2007) system for expressive meaning, applied to formality marking on 2nd person pronouns.